The rapid growth in the use of social media among Papua New Guineans has precipitated involved businesses and firms to teach the customers to apply this platform accurately.
Among those enterprises is the Media Development Initiative (MDI) which has performed separate workshops with various companies in Talasea district.
MDI, as part of its district activity, carried out social media workshop for diverse girls’ institution, small to medium organizations, WNB provincial government officers and individuals.
A 2d social media workshop was conducted with nearby level government ward councilors, ward contributors and ward managers.
As an end result, the individuals can now be capable of using the social media platform to generate discussions on trending issues that name for motion from the ones in authority.
The session ended with a name for all to be answerable for their content material on Facebook and to use this platform to express perspectives, opinion and maintain discussions with their neighborhood MP for neighborhood answers.
To permit them to apprehend social media, the individuals were given an outline of how the media landscape in PNG (mainstream media) has modified during the last 10 years.
This set the basis for the creation of social media.
Social media platforms which include Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp have been discussed briefly, however, the awareness of the workshop was on FB, which is extra popular in PNG.
The path module included regions together with:
– Identifying faux news on Facebook;
– The honest use law on Facebook;
– Defamation each slander and libel which Facebook customers can be uncovered to with the aid of what they put up;
– Posts and information concerning underage youngsters drew discussions round infant protection policy
and PNG’S Lukautim Pikining Act and;
– Selectively posting videos, images, and information concerning the loss of service delivery which triggers a response from those in authority who also are at the Facebook platform.
Prior to the SM schooling, a survey became conducted to see which participants had an existing business Facebook page and private profiles.
For those with the enterprise pages, forums or representing hobby corporations, particular education has been given to:
– Post appropriate records and images that sell the commercial enterprise or sports;
– Promote the pages;
– Boost the pages;
– Promote upcoming occasion and;
– Important for them to retain engagement and discussions with the target audience.
The contributors had been additionally made aware of nonconversational posts which include:
– spammy posts;
– like posts;
– tag a mating post;
– tag baiting posts and;
– comment baiting posts.
These are baiting posts utilized by bigger groups for opinion polls to grow their earnings margins.
The contributors have been entreated to apply the platform to posts pics and facts that might trigger a reaction from the ones in authority.
The contributors were advised that they could do promise monitoring via way of uploading pix concerning the loss of service transport which could get the eye of a nearby Member of Parliament.